Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Newman Strikes Back

Terrance Newman is mad. Newman did not appreciate the criticism that he received for his recent comments made here, and on Tuesday, he called Ben and Skin on 105.3 The FAN to voice his displeasure.

To summarize, Newman basically said that the media "twisted his words" and continue to make "something out of nothing."

During the conversation, bloggers were labeled as "haters," and not that I disagree, but I did take offense. I consider myself a "non-lover," rather than a "hater!" I just try to call things like I see them.

For instance, Newman indicated that bloggers were simply "taking his comments out of context." Here is a quote from Newman's original conversation:

"Being a first-year starter, then you have the limelight with his girlfriend and situations of that nature. It's going to take away from him being a quarterback, being a successful quarterback."


I am not that bright, I admit that, but I cannot understand how that could be taken out of context. Newman specifically said that having a public relationship with Jessica Simpson "took away from him being a successful quarterback."

Is that what he meant? I don't know...but that is what he said. I don't think that Newman intentionally called out Romo. I do not believe that he had any malicious intent.

But to me - that's not the issue. The issue remains how Newman - and the entire Cowboys team - handles criticism. Newman made a few questionable statements during his original interview. Apparently, many misinterpreted his comments because he did not clearly convey his message.

But as usual - he refuses to take responsibility.

"It's not a lack of judgment and it's nothing that I can apologize about...People took it out of context and don't understand what I was talking about."


Yes it is! You can easily apologize for it. It's really simple...you just do it.

Not to pile on the often-used quote, but: "Adversity doesn't build character - it reveals character."

Every time a Cowboy faces adversity, he immediately puts on the "it's not my fault" mask. Rarely, if ever, does one of the guys come out and say, "You know what? I messed up. I should have done this or done that." It's always, "That wasn't my fault. You don't know the coverages we were in, you don't know the routes we were supposed to run, you don't know the scheme that we were working with, etc..."

It just becomes a beating after a while. Realistically, most "haters" in the media would simply like to see the Cowboys to adopt the Keith Brooking philosophy:

"Take the blame and give all the credit. That's the key."


Like I said here, I'm not sure that he is going to fit in well around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment