Thursday, March 26, 2009

Absolutely Disgusting

Ryan Moats, a Houston Texans' running back and former Bishop Lynch student, was involved in a police altercation last week. The Dallas Morning News reports that Moats, while taking his family to see a dying relative in a Plano hospital, rolled through a red light and was besieged by a police officer. Here is an excerpt from the story (full story here):

Moats turned on his hazard lights. He stopped at a red light, where, he said, the only nearby motorist signaled for him to go ahead. He went through.

[Officer] Powell, watching traffic from a hidden spot, flipped on his lights and sirens. In less than a minute, he caught up to the SUV and followed for about 20 more seconds as Moats found a parking spot outside the emergency room.

Moats' wife, 27-year-old Tamishia, was the first out. Powell yelled at her to get back in.

"Get in there!" he yelled. "Let me see your hands!"

"My mom is dying," she explained.

Powell was undeterred.

Tamishia Moats and her great-aunt ignored the officer and headed into the hospital. Ryan Moats stayed behind with the father of the dying woman.

It gets even worse:

Powell demanded his license and proof of insurance. Moats produced his license but said he didn't know where the insurance paperwork was.

"Just give me a ticket or whatever," he said, beginning to sound exasperated and a little argumentative.

"Shut your mouth," Powell told him. "You can cooperate and settle down, or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."

"All I'm asking you is just to hurry up." ...

"Understand what I can do," Powell concluded. "I can tow your truck. I can charge you with fleeing. I can make your night very difficult."

Even another officer's plea would not stop Powell:

"Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer told Powell. "She said that the mom's dying right now, and she's wanting to know if they can get him up there before she dies."

"All right," Powell replied. "I'm almost done."

As Moats signed the ticket, Powell continued his lecture.

"Attitude's everything," he said. "All you had to do is stop, tell me what was going on. More than likely, I would have let you go."

It had been about 13 minutes.

And the most tragic finale:

Moats and Collinsworth's father went into the hospital, where they found Collinsworth had died, with her daughter at her side.

Absolutely disgusting. What else can be said?

3 comments:

  1. This is pathetic. That cop would've had to shoot me in the back because I'm going into the hospital. What impresses me the most is Moats' composure during the ordeal. Most folks, me included, would've gotten very agitated, rightly so, and earned a trip to jail. I really hope this officer faces strict disciplinary action. If it were up to me he'd be looking for another job.

    Mike T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously - if a cop ever told me to "shut my mouth" as I was telling him about my dying relative - it would get ugly quick.

    ReplyDelete